Talbot House Ministries is named after Matt Talbot, who lived in Dublin Ireland from 1856 to 1925. After overcoming a 16 year struggle with alcoholism, Matt became a devout servant of God to the poor, homeless, and others in his community. The story of his life’s renewal has become an inspiration to many people around the world.
Talbot House was founded in 1979 by St. Joseph’s Church in Lakeland Florida. After operating as a soup kitchen for the homeless, the organization moved into a building on Massachusetts Ave, and expanded its reach to become a multi-denominationally supported ministry.
Over the next ten years, Talbot House expanded its programs and services to include a night shelter, residential program, and a free medical clinic. In the late 1990’s, Talbot House was informed that its building would have to be demolished to make way for the extension of Bartow Highway. After a capital campaign, a new facility was built at our current location in June 2001. Our current facility enabled us to expand the programs and services we offer to the homeless, a growth that continues to this day.
The soup kitchen of early years has now become a multi-service support agency for the poor and homeless. Our legacy and breadth of services make Talbot House the most comprehensive care center in Polk County.
Our Basic Needs services provide each person who comes to our door with the immediate needs of clothing, food, and shelter. We provide men and women who would otherwise be on the streets a place of safe refuge, and basic needs.